Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bonanno Interviews Jarek Kupsc, Director, Writer and Star of “The Reflecting Pool” – Part I

(originally published by OpEdNews)


On August 22, I interviewed Jarek Kupsc (pronounce Yá-duck Coops), the man who wrote, directs and stars in the first theatrical presentation of an alternative theory of what happened on September 11, 2001. The movie is called “The Reflecting Pool” and co-stars Joseph Culp, son of well known actor Robert Culp and an actor of stage and screen in his own right. Culp, along with Kupsc’s wife, Jodie Baltazar, was a major producer of “The Reflecting Pool” as well.

I’ll lift the short descriptor of the movie right from the DVD box:

“An investigation of the 9/11 events by a Russian-American journalist implicates the US government in the attacks.

Alex Prokop (Jarek Kupsc), a successful journalist, receives a rare 9/11 videotape revealing new information about the day of the attacks. The footage was sent by Paul Cooper (Joseph Culp), a driven researcher whose daughter died on 9/11. Sensing a good story, Prokop travels with Cooper to New York and Washington, D. C., where they uncover suppressed information about the attacks and their aftermath. As Cooper introduces Prokop to key eye-witnesses, the façade of the “official story” begins to crumble.”

I could include where and when the movie is being screened, how successful it’s been so far and many other facts that one usually finds in an intro to an interview. However, I can assure you that, after interviewing Kupsc for an hour and twenty minutes, everything that one usually finds in an intro is covered and covered rather thoroughly.

Due to the length of the interview, I’m publishing it in four parts.

The interview’s audio was recorded and a link to that recording was supposed to accompany this article. Unfortunately, after spending well over twenty hours attempting to fix an unbearably poor quality audio, I came to the conclusion that listening to the audio would have been a negative experience, so I decided to leave it out.

But enough with the amateur techno version of Murphy’s Law. Here’s Part I of the transcript.

Bonanno: One thing that OpEdNews readers might want to know about you is a little bit about your background, both as an activist and a filmmaker.

Kupsc: Well, my film adventure, if you will, started in high school in Poland where I grew up. I was born and raised in Warsaw, Poland. I started making Super 8 movies in high school, as a 16 year old and I always wanted to follow this passion into creating some kind of a career in films for myself.

I left the country in ’85 and came to The United States in ’87. I worked my way through college and film school and acting school, several acting schools as a matter of fact. “The Reflecting Pool” is my third feature film. I have shot two other feature films before that, “Recoil” and “Slumberland”. I usually – exclusively, I should say, work in low budget formats, totally independent of the system, the Hollywood system or the independent movie world. I have no desire at this point to branch out into Hollywood.

Although I do live in LA, I live in Koreatown which is probably the cheapest area where you can find a decent place to live. I’m staying there with my wife, Jodie Baltazar, producer and cinematographer of “The Reflecting Pool”, and our 5 year old child, Caspar.

So, to wrap this up, this intro, I have a degree in writing and directing from San Francisco State University. Again, I studied acting at the same school as well as various workshops, one of which was conducted by Joseph Culp in Venice, California. I took this acting workshop around 2005.

About a year into the workshop, I started developing the screenplay for “The Reflecting Pool”, which I subsequently brought into the workshop. I started working on scenes from the script with other writers and actors. There were five drafts of the script. It started shaping up into its final form which you can see on the screen, through the participation of Joseph Culp’s workshop.

Subsequently I asked Joseph if he would want to portray one of the leading characters as well as to produce.

Joseph Culp is a Santa Monica/Los Angeles based actor. He’s an acting teacher as well as a producer.

We combined our resources in order to make this movie. By we, I mean my wife Jodie, myself and Joseph. We kind of pooled our resources together including savings and credit cards, whatever we had, just because we did not want to represent any political groups. We did not want any outside influence. The making of this movie was a purely independent production with a very limited budget. However, I did feel it was necessary to talk about this issue as soon as possible.

We went straight into self distribution, meaning we simultaneously released the movie on DVD and started showing it theatrically so that people could have full access to the movie.

You can order the video from our web site, reflectingpoolfilm.com. You can go to our web site to find out where the next screening will be. A lot of people are asking us for screeners that they can project in their own communities. We have a standing offer for anyone who’s involved in honest politics that they can screen the movie at any time or in any place with no licensing. We just want to make it as accessible as possible.

Bonanno: You answered my next question which was, “How did you come to meet Joseph Culp?” You brought to mind another question, however.

You presented this to your class, you said. How was the content or the premise of the movie received by your class?

Kupsc: …by my class? Well Joseph was the first person to have read it. He was not well informed of other possibilities of what may have happened. He had some initial reservations about the 19 hijackers, but he never pursued it any further. He went on with his life, went shopping, took care of the family. He has two kids and a beautiful wife. They were just going about their business like most Americans.

When we started workshopping the script in class, he started having questions and started to go about researching and verifying what I was offering. Eventually, he educated himself adequately enough to realize that there is, indeed, something nefarious about the official version of 9/11 and what happened that day. In the process of working with me on the script, he became a true believer of some other possibilities which we try to explore in “The Reflecting Pool”.

As far as the other members are concerned, several people in the group ended up acting in the film; most prominently Lisa Black, who plays the editor of the fictional Centinal magazine which commissions the article about 9/11.

Bonanno: She does a wonderful job, by the way.

Kupsc: Yes, she’s actually an acting professor in an upstate New York college. She’s been a professional actress all her life. All the actors in the film were professional actors with maybe one exception.

We tried to make it as professional as we could under our limited budget restrictions.

Bonanno: I have one more sort of personal question. In his book, The New Pearl Harbor, David Ray Griffin presents 8 different degrees of conceivable US complicity in the events of 9/11. They start with the premise that the Bush administration knew nothing about it, they had no idea it was going to happen, but, while it happened, they thought they’d take advantage of it by making it a basis for invading Iraq. There were degrees between that and the ultimate degree, which, of course, was that they were complicit in making it happen.

If you don’t mind sharing this with us, is there a place that you personally fit in those degrees of complicity?

Kupsc: I have my personal views on what happened that day. My personal views, however, are firmly rooted in science and research and academic papers. You mention David Ray Griffin. There’s also Professor Steven Jones, who has been investigating the debris of WTC ground zero. He found an ounce of explosives in the debris which he examined. He came up with certain theories which are being “disproved” by the mainstream media.

As recently as yesterday, the 21st of August, the NIST, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, finally decided to release their report on the collapse of Building 7 after 7 years, in which they basically state, officially, that, for the first time in the history of modern architecture a steel framed building collapsed due to a fire from an external explosion. The report, which I just read, the NIST report – and I’m not a scientist, but, just by reading the report, I can see so many holes, inconsistencies, contradictions and flat out denials of fact. This just makes me believe that the building collapsed due to controlled demolition. There’s really no other explanation.

I also question the release of the NIST report, which is conveniently timed right before the election. There are other very interesting hit pieces that we receive from the media.

In the latest issue of Mother Jones, there’s a huge hit piece about 9/11, as well as my movie, which they single out. Again, it’s an article without any substance. They distort the facts and they mislead the public in the article. I think it’s a concerted effort to deal with the growing effectiveness of 9/11 Truth. People keep asking questions which won’t go away. I think this is part of a concerted effort by the administration and the mainstream media to thwart our effort effectively. They’ve been doing a pretty good job, but we’re not going to go away.

Unfortunately, when you have guys on television like they had yesterday, supporting the now official version of Building 7 collapse, most people in the country will buy it, just like they bought Colin Powell’s performance at The United Nations. A few years from now, we will all agree it was a big lie. Now we all agree that Colin Powell lied. The message of weapons of mass destruction was a complete fabrication. We all agree on that.

Bonanno: If I’m not mistaken, Colin Powell agrees on that, too, doesn’t he?

Kupsc: I think, if he really agreed on that, he’d blow his brains out and that would be the apologetic message to the rest of the world.

Bonanno: I’m rather certain that there have been articles written which indicate that he now knows that he was used. But, I’m sorry to have interrupted you. Go ahead.

Kupsc: No, no, that’s just fine. I’m not really following Colin Powell’s career. I lost my interest in that individual long ago. In fact, if he has any pangs of conscience, I would encourage him to speak out on that.

It’s safe to bash the Bush regime because it’s an outgoing administration. Even the media’s picking up on certain things that were proven to be false. They were distorted facts that led us into two simultaneous wars. Over 4,000 American troops have died; millions of civilians have died in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Yet, we all know that this was based on a lie. Even the media knows that. Yet, nobody wants to discuss, with any degree of intelligence, the issue of 9/11. If we agree that the administration virtually lied about everything since they came into office, why wouldn’t you want to include 9/11 in this equation? It’s a very simple question. It’s still taboo for most people and most media outlets.

It’s an ongoing effort for the 9/11 Truth Movement and people that have questions such as myself. It’s a struggle, an uphill battle. I don’t know what the answer would be. I don’t know how we can overcome this apathetic ignorance of scientific facts and laws of physics that are completely neglected involving the collapse of The Twin Towers and Building 7.

Maybe people don’t realize that the NIST is the government. It’s a pseudo-scientific body that is fully sponsored by the government. How can you expect the government to investigate itself?

Bonanno: They seem to do that a lot in this administration.

Kupsc: It’s completely preposterous. It’s like having your house burglarized and going to the burglar and saying, “Hey, do you have any information about my little problem that I had last night?” It’s absolutely ridiculous, what’s happening, and people are buying it, but not all.

There’s Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth and Richard Gage, who’s working on the new NIST report on Building 7 and there are others who are doing great investigative reporting. There are people like yourself, Michael, who are not afraid to talk about this openly and posting this interview on OpEdNews. There’s a big underground – so to speak – underground movement contradicting the mainstream opinion; I should say propaganda flat out. There’s no big mystery that most news dispatches come straight from the White House.

This has been documented. I’m not inventing anything. The fact that the CIA controls the media has been really well documented by people like Carl Bernstein of Watergate fame who wrote an article in 1977 which was basically entitled “The CIA and the Media”. He described how the CIA is planting editors in virtually every media outlet in the country, in newspaper, television, radio. Now, thirty years later, we can only imagine the influence they wield. There’s no big mystery about the CIA’s involvement if we really look back at how all the CIA’s directors, 9 out of 10, ended up working for Wall Street.

Bonanno: I can tell you that I have here in my hands The World Trade Center Building Performance Study from FEMA which, surprisingly, they sent me when I requested it. Not so surprising is the fact that real scientists wrote the things that are in this report and what they wrote is a bit hard to swallow.

I said I was going to ask you one more personal question but you brought up the fact that you lived in the Soviet Block for a while. I was just wondering if that helped in your writing “The Reflecting Pool”.

Kupsc: Well, growing up in Communist Poland was a fantastic experience for me as it was for everybody else in terms of understanding the difference between news and propaganda. Anybody who grew up behind the Iron Curtain knew that what you were hearing on television, radio or reading was not true, meaning all the political and economic news wasn’t true.

Bonanno: The people actually knew it?

Kupsc: Yes, everybody knew that they were lies. It was very simple. They were telling you one thing, but, when you’d walk out the door, you’d see another thing. There was no argument. Everybody knew it was a lie. Everybody had a “sixth sense”, if you will, to know how to read between the lines.

Bonanno: So, I assume there was no “Poland, right or wrong” attitude by which, even though they would tell you something yet you saw something else, you’d believe them rather than your own eyes – as there seems to be in some cases in the US.

Kupsc: Yes, because, unfortunately for Americans – and I’m an American, too, now. I have been for the last 15 years. That’s one of the reasons why I do care about America and its people. My son and my wife are American. That’s one of the reasons why I made this movie.

In general, in America, people have been pretty much conditioned to trust the media. There was never anything presented to the contrary. There was always like, we have an independent press, all these freedoms guaranteed to us in The Constitution – like freedom of expression. So, why would the media lie to us? Why would Walter Cronkite lie to us? We had all these great news anchors who were always being very honest with us. We should not question anything we hear on the 6 o’clock news.

The so called Fairness Doctrine, which was issued around 1928 for American radio, virtually forced broadcasters to provide equal air time to both sides of any argument. That doctrine went into effect, of course, with television in the ‘50s. We still had balanced debate between Left and Right or whatever the opposing forces were.

In 1988, Reagan, I should say his handlers, basically took The Fairness Doctrine out of the equation. Bill Clinton, I think around 1996, created The Telecommunications Act which abolished any semblance of balanced discourse in the media between opposing forces.

That led to a complete corporate takeover by the media and consolidation of media outlets which culminated with what we have now. We have 5 major news corporations controlling 5,000 TV stations and 14,000 radio stations in America today. This basically means that 5 CEOs tell the rest of the world what’s going on.

If you look at who these individuals are, you know that they have agendas. You know that they’re connected with the military/industrial complex and you can draw your own conclusions.

Bonanno: I’d like to direct you, if I may, to OpEdNews. Ray McGovern, who worked for the CIA for many years, posted an open letter to Colin Powell on OpEdNews. It was on the first page about three issues ago. The letter is an indication that Powell has expressed regret, but not to the extent that you’d like to see him express regret. At least he’s expressed some regret and McGovern is sort of asking him, “Why go half way? Let’s go all the way.”

Kupsc: I’d love to read it. I’ll look it up.



<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=110716">To what degree was the US government complicit in the events of 9/11?</a> <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash</a>

To friendship,
Michael

“One is tempted to define man as a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.” - Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist, part 2, 1891

No comments: