Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jill Bolte Taylor: My stroke of insight

(Originally published at TED.com)

We are all one. I know this sounds like psychobabble or ‘60s “hippie talk”, but it’s neither. It’s physically true. There is energy beyond our being that connects all of us to one another and even connects us to trees, animals and anything that exists upon this earth. As Ms Taylor says in the video, it can’t be put aside for the moment or planned for the future because it’s happening now. It’s happening whether you want to be aware of it or not and the analytical mind, which is found in the left cortex of the brain, fights it tooth and nail.

The mind puts all kinds of obstacles in the way. Religion is one example. I refer to organized, dogmatic religion, not spirituality. Most of the large, monotheistic religions teach us that the life we live upon this earth is an audition of sorts for the “real” eternal life that we will experience at the culmination of this earthly life. These thoughts and beliefs take us from away from now. When we refuse to believe that the only time that’s ever true is now, we find it easy to dwell on getting back at someone, even though the past can never be changed, or a racing to something we can never know, the future. We lose all connection with reality, with now.

As shown in the following video, the left side of the brain isn’t bad. It takes care of things that need logic, like solving a problem.

Learning what is or isn’t toxic in one way or another and knowing enough to stay clear of it is important. Planning a trip makes the trip much more enjoyable. There’s a difference between preparing for a trip and letting the thought of the trip totally engulf you to the point of neglecting important, real responsibilities like - remembering to eat.

John Lennon wrote, “Life is what happens when you’re busy doing other things.”

Ms Taylor reinforces the idea for me that it doesn’t take a god or angels or goblins or spirits flying around to be spiritual. Spirituality is real and I believe that it’s physically manifested.

To friendship,
Michael

“The heart of man is made to reconcile the most glaring contradictions.” - David Hume

World Conditions and Action Items
CDs
I’m Sorry

4 comments:

Bridgie said...

Thank you Michael for that wonderful post. I loved the video by Jill Bolte Taylor on TED too.

Also, did you see Dr Taylor's interviews with Oprah on Soul Series - wonderful!

Best of all is her book MY STROKE OF INSIGHT - I've read it twice already. Second time better than the first

Dr. Taylor is a great inspiration. The lessons in the book are life-changing...very simple yet very powerful.

Here's the link to the book http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0670020745/ref=pd_ts_b_12?ie=UTF8&s=books

and here's the link to Oprah's interviews
http://www2.oprah.com/spiritself/oss/guest/oss_guest_jboltetaylor.jhtml

Michael Bonanno said...

Bridgie, I’m glad that I was able to get this wonderful presentation to at least one more person, albeit you’d already seen it.

I’m not a TV viewer for the most part, so I don’t keep up with what TV personalities are doing.

However, from what I understand, because I don’t watch TV, I sort of “cheated” myself out of a part of the series about which you speak that I would have wanted to see and that’s the time Oprah spent with Eckart Tolle. I imagine that there are archives that I can go to in order to see Tolle.

When one thinks about it, Ms Taylor literally proved Tolle’s theory about The Now.

Thanks for the comment. I wish I’d receive more, but competition is tough.

To friendship,
Michael

Ellen said...

I've been recommending "My Stroke of Insight" to everyone I know. It's the best book I've read all year! You can get Jill's book from Amazon for a good discount.
Here's the Link:

http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0670020745/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210709205&sr=8-4

Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.