Monday, June 05, 2006

What Else Is There To Do?

I launched my web site on August 12, 2005. I launched my blog a short while before that. I didn’t think that I would be widely read since there are 4.7 million web sites and 50 million blogs worldwide. I was right.

It’s time to renew my web site. One would think that, in the face of such heavy competition, a person would be satisfied to read the writings of others and not bother trying to add more.

That’s not me. People have visited both my web site and my blog and some have even offered input to various posts. I appreciate that.

I removed the comments section from my web site because, once someone commented on a post, that comment went into a black hole. I didn’t have a response function. It was quite frustrating when someone commented and didn’t leave an email address at which I could reach them.

I would like to have responded to the people who supported my posts. However, I thought it was even more important to respond to those who disagreed with me. Not surprisingly, those who disagreed with me were much more likely not to leave an email address at which they could be reached and which would afford me the opportunity to have a discussion with them.

Then there were the people who responded with non responses. These people also didn’t leave a return email address, but I wouldn’t have responded anyway. Their input was either insulting beyond the pale or they were just orbiting another planet and their input had nothing at all to do with the subject matter.

I don’t have to renew my blog. I have it as long as I want it.

People have occasionally responded to my blog. It’s better in that the input is seen by all and that may discourage the space cadets from responding.

I've decided to replace the overstated, angry intro to my web site with the following.

I’m one of 50 million or one of 4.7 million, depending upon what you’re looking at. However, if I’ve informed just one person about a world condition that he or she didn’t know about, I’m satisfied. That person may know others who didn’t know about the world condition and I may have gotten the word out.

As anyone whose reads the “Essays” part of my web site or reads my blog knows, I do less informing than I do commentary. ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN and many alternative news organizations have their own blogs and web sites. I don’t presume that I can get to a breaking story before they can unless it’s done serendipitously. I don’t even try.

However, if one person never looked at an issue in the way I explain it and agrees with my explanation, others may find out. If someone doesn’t agree with my point of view, I may learn from that person. I may seem adamant in my points of view and, for the most part, I am. However, I’ve been known to change my mind and will do so if the other person’s argument makes more sense to me than mine.

At any rate, a person and I may agree to disagree, which was a conclusion that was not allowed during most of my life time.

I’ve spoken here mostly about my rants, diatribes and opinion editorial pieces. They seem to receive the major input in my web site and my blog is made up of only essays or articles, however one wants to refer to them. I do have the option of not publishing input to my blog. Thus far, I’m happy that I haven’t had to use it.

Anyone who’s been to my site knows that I have other pages besides essay pages.

About Michael

I’ve posted a long, dragged out, very personal and probably very boring autobiography. The only reason I’ve given so far for posting that autobiography is that, since I like to learn as much as I can about writers, musicians, poets, actors, etc., I assume others do as well. It helps to offer insight into where they’re coming from in their writing.

I can’t deny that the autobiography has been somewhat cathartic for me, although I’m quite sure that the people included in that section don’t even know it exists. Even if they did know it wouldn't matter. Like our fine Pseudo President, they don't admit to mistakes.

Another issue with the About Michael page is that the autobiography stops at about 1985. I haven’t written anything past that. That doesn’t mean that nothing major has happened in my life.

The most important development has just recently happened. Unfortunately, this development has stopped me from doing some of the things I just started to do at my ripe old age. I can no longer march against the inhumane behavior of The Regime. I can’t even go to rallies for the most part.

It’s been discovered that I have an inoperable back condition. As one doctor put it, “I wouldn’t touch this man’s back with a ten foot pole. He has the back of an eighty year old.” By the way, I’m not yet eighty.

My discs are not bulging, they’re merely disappearing. There is very little cartilage between the vertebrae on every single level. I’m told that they could fuse the entire back, but that would interfere with my functionality. Duh!

The other fix doesn’t exist, as far as doctors I’ve seen know. It would be an entire spinal transplant. I don’t hold out much hope that will happen any time soon.

Two doctors say that the days during which I’ll be able to walk are numbered. A third doctor doesn’t agree with that. I vote for the third doctor.

Music

I’ve put my first four CDs on my site. I think it’s obvious that I learned as I went along. I’ve mostly learned about the mixing software.

However, my age has been a barrier between me and my ability to play guitar or keyboard. It’s definitely had an adverse affect upon my voice. I just can’t reach the high notes that I could reach when I was in my twenties. But I continue to try. What else is there to do?

I finally think I have a saleable album with my fifth CD, “Flameland”. I’ve signed a distribution contract with CD Baby. As impressive as that may sound, I think everyone who owns a blog or a web site has also signed a distribution contract with CD Baby. Lots of competition there as well.

My plan is to go back to the first CD, fix the mistakes, remove it from my web site and give it to CD Baby for distribution. I plan on doing that with each of my albums.

Poetry

I am a published poet. I’ve only been published 20 or 30 times, somewhere in that vicinity. I’ve been paid for my work three or four times. No, I’ve not gotten wealthy from those checks.

I’m posting my poetry book by book, in chronological order. I’m only on my second book. I think I’ve progressed with poetry more slowly than with anything else.

Right now, I’m posting poems from a book I call “Verses from Kingfisher Way”. I’m in the process of posting a chapter called “The Rendezvous”. “The Rendezvous” contains eight sonnets. These sonnets appear to be about a romantic affair between two lovers. That affair is just a cover-up and a metaphor for another situation, one that I go through yearly during the time period covered in the sonnets. It was a lot of fun turning this summer suffering into something it’s not. If I could just put my comments section back on to my web site, it would be interesting to see if anyone could guess what the real subject of the sonnets is.

That’s an update and my commitment to try to make this a better world by doing what I do best, writing. Certain writing has had a significant affect on the world. Just look at the bible.

Music helped a great deal in putting an end to the Vietnam fiasco during the sixties and seventies.

Poetry has also had an affect on humanity.

Oh, by the way, if the kind people at Studio Eight allow me to continue to place an occasional piece in my “Open Mike – Soundoff” column, I’ll continue to do that.

I’m not ready to stop trying to inject common sense and compassion into the human race.

To friendship,
Michael

“The important thing is not to stop questioning” – Albert Einstein



free website hit counter

No comments: