Monday, November 07, 2005

Telephone Abuse Update

Below is an update from my friend who was being bothered, legally or not, by the Republican gubernatorial candidate.

In California, there are 8 propositions for or against which the voters will be voting tomorrow.

Propositions 73-78 are endorsed by our governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger. They are cleverly worded so that voting against them means voting against the American family, against competent teachers, against union workers, against cutting taxes, against depoliticizing gerrymandering and against offering prescription drugs at a reduced rate to those who need them. It sounds as if anyone who votes against those six are pretty evil, hey?

If you vote for propositions 79 and 80, you’re equally as evil.

Voting for 79 means prescription drugs will be kept from those who need them by the red tape of a government bureaucracy and voting for 80 means voting for the demise of democracy.

In my hometown of Antioch, as well as in two adjacent towns, the fate of three measures, K, P and L, are to be decided tomorrow as well. Voting against any of these three measures means that you forfeit your rights to democracy.

What does this have to do with the update below?

I’ve gotten obnoxious, pre-recorded phone calls from people who are campaigning for propositions 73-78 and from those who are campaigning in favor of Measure K. I’ve gotten no such phone calls from people opposing 73-78 or Measure K.

There is also a hell of a lot more political litter on the sides of the roads in favor of those same initiatives than there is opposing them.

This tells me that 73-78 and K are supported by people with a lot more $$$ than is in the coffers of the people who oppose these initiatives.

I sincerely hope that Californians will read as much as possible about the initiatives before tomorrow if they haven’t done so already. If an initiative possesses enough positive qualities to “sell itself” to those who will be most affected, it doesn’t need large quantities of money to boost it.

It certainly doesn’t have to stoop to depths that the update below presents.

Deep Throat told Bernstein to “follow the money” if he wanted to find the crooks in the Nixon administration. Enough said?

“Well, Michael... you're NOT going to believe this!Guess who called me tonight?

It was a tape of his voice, but it WAS his voice.

I didn't answer the phone. My daughter did.

President Bush himself. Yep!

My daughter said Bush said, "Hello. This is President Bush. I am calling to ask you to vote for my dear friend, Jerry Kilgore."

Then she started laughing and hung up so I have no clue what he said after that.

Can you imagine that? The President of the United States becoming a telephone solicitor?

If it wasn't laughable, I'd be appalled! No, on second thought, even thought it IS laughable, I AM appalled!

I'm still shaking my head over it.

This Virginia race is tight, I guess. The marketing campaigns are intensive and expensive! I have been getting 4-color process large format pieces in the mail for a month from many candidates for various different offices but especially from Jerry Kilgore and his opponent Tim Kaine ... (They are running for governor).

Being in the advertising business, I KNOW how much it costs to print such fancy mailers on glossy cover stock. I can't imagine the cost to mail multiple pieces to every registered voter in the state of Virginia.

Damn.... Wish they'd spend all that money on widening the darn highways instead! The traffic is NUTS around here! (hear that, Californians? – parenthetical insert Michael’s)

Well, I hope he calls back. I'd love to hear the whole tape.If I had time, I'd start writing a column myself. It's these little laughable things in life I might like to share with people.Thanks for sending out my letter....”

This is a sad exhibition by possibly the most detached president in the information age, since televisions were owned by more people than not, using a detached, impersonal methodology to try to gain support for a revisionist gubernatorial candidate. The only politician that I know of that is more secretive and detached than Bush (or Bush’s character), yet garnered the same kind of “obedience” is “Big Brother” in Orwell’s “1984”.

There’s a saying – “It don’t get no better than this.”

In the case above, it don’t get no sadder than that (and more obvious).

To friendship,
Michael

“Everybody's worried about stopping terrorism. Well, there's a really easy way: stop participating in it.” – Noam Chomsky

No comments: